Sunday, 25 November 2007

New projects, new ideas

Well, it's time to look to the week ahead. My housekeeper is a sheer genius at organising, and she is making sure that this week will be a productive one. We have already prepped the rooms for this week's guests (almost a full house again) and we are going to concentrate on getting the accounts in order.

Hopefully, we will also see one of the staff from our sister business in this week to do some essential maintenance - it is time to repaint the public rooms after a tough year of wear; to finish off some of the painting and filling that was overlooked in the rush at Easter and to clear a small forest out of the gutters. If the weather dries up a bit (fat hope), the decking needs staining as well. When our starling guests have vacated their nests, we also have to do a bit of securing of lofts and vents - they are the messiest guests we have and they start cheeping just before the dawn breaks (i.e. about 9am at this time of year.....)

We are also preparing for some more thinking about business development, and I'm spending a lot of time doing some proper, rigorous business planning. Knew that the MBA would come in handy one day!

Anyway, all of this activity keeps me away from worry about Christmas. I deliberately set the Saturday supplements to one side this week, because I knew they would all be about 'the perfect Christmas table' or the 'perfectly matched Christmas decorations'. To me, the perfect Christmas table is one that everyone will actually sit down to, and where no-one knocks a glass of Ribena over the turkey as it's about to be carved. You have to set your sights low when you've got as many kids as I have.

Unfortunately, my eldest is developing an advanced aesthetic sense and is writing me 'to-do' lists of things I am required to buy for the Great Day. Gone are the days when she would be satisfied with an ill-matching set of coloured flashing lights and an Advent calendar with no chocolate in it. I've tried explaining that I have a limited budget, but she is convinced that all the payments into the business are actually profit. I keep offering to show her my invoice trail, but she has lost interest and flounced off by this stage.

Never mind. Perhaps I can encourage her blossoming sense of style by encouraging her to do all the work of decorating the house again this year.

No comments: