Saturday, 17 November 2007

And quiet was the dawn....relections on the tourist season

Woke up this morning and remembered that a) I have a blog to write! and b) I have no staff in this weekend. So, with four rooms to clean and change, I decided to come and blog instead. Hmm. I can see that this is going to become a displacement activity very rapidly.

Business looks a little thin this week - the first week since March this year, almost. The season has been unbelieveable in Stornoway this year. I've only been in the tourism business for about two years (and for the first year I combined it with a job), but everyone I speak to (I'm still looking for a nice partner to improve my romantic life, so I speak to just about everyone in case they are single or have a lonely, single brother) says that it's been a great season.

Now for some of the stuff I've been wanting to say all year but have blustered away at the guests (and probably lost future bookings in the process - I can be a bit scary once I get going). Why doesn't anyone book in advance when they come to Stornoway? This is a vibrant, happening, exciting town for most of the year - and when it's not, it's nice and peaceful and just the sort of place for gentle types like birdwatchers and hillwalkers to have a lovely holiday.

But the problem with Stornoway is that there is a complete mismatch between the supply of accommodation and the numbers of people looking for it. So between March and November I regularly take desperate calls from people who seem to have planned their trip with military precision, driven 500 miles (to quote the Proclaimers) but somehow forgotten that they need somewhere to sleep at the other end. And they only call once they've got to Ullapool, or worse still, Stornoway ferry terminal. Next year I'm putting a tent in the garden.

No comments: