Yesterday I attended a lunch at the Caberfeidh hotel, hosted by the Chairman of VisitScotland, Peter Lederer. He made a speech, we ate a buffet and then the boys from the Gazette arrived for their pictures. But for a 'consultative tour', the numbers of actual tourism business owners were hugely outnumbered by the Great and the Good.
Now I don't mind the various stakeholders from other public organisations having a free lunch with me; heaven knows I ate enough of them myself in my public sector days. But where were the other tourism operators? Only half a dozen of us hardy souls showed up, and there are dozens and dozens of us in Stornoway alone. It gave those of us who attended the undivided attention of people who can actually change things at national level; and the chance to get our local point over in a congenial fashion.
Didn't think much of the free lunch, by the way. The Council caterers could do better than the quiche/baked tatties/sandwiches spread we got. I know from personal experience that the Caberfeidh has gone miles upmarket with its food over the last six months. And there weren't even any biscuits with the coffee. Perhaps the national budgetary constraints on VisitScotland are percolating down to local level even quicker than we thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment