Wednesday, 21 November 2007

On never working with animals and children.......

Just a thought as the tourism season draws to a close. As I look back on the year's trading, I'm glad that we have chosen to be a child- and animal-friendly B&B. In Stornoway, a number of my fellow B&Bers don't let either across their thresholds - for reasons which are important to them and to their businesses.

But I have had a great year meeting all manner of children, dogs and families - and so have my own kids. For them, it's been an ever-changing group of playmates, and new animals to fuss over. Prize Pet of the Year award goes to Henry, a huge, hairy German Shepherd of impeccable manners and patience who stayed with us for a week. And our favourite guests, Phil and Ros, have become firm friends since they moved up to the islands - and their three children, too. And not a child nor a dog has wet a bed, bitten a guest nor disgraced themselves in any way.

So our open-door policy to animals and children goes on. I may live to regret saying this, but the only trouble I have had this year has been with adults. I will draw a veil over the ghastly events that have occasionally required the attendance of the ever-patient local Constabulary, or the application of bleach and a scrubbing-brush. But at least, none of the events involved families or their companion animals. To the children and their families, to Henry and all of his canine friends, our business thanks you - and looks forward to seeing you back next season.

No comments: